If you’ve never made icecream at home before, this is my all-time favourite no-cook simple recipe.Â Nothing beats freshly made strawberry icecream with a hint of balsamic.Â Â It can be done without an icecream maker if you want to experiment.Â Yum!!! Make it now!
strawberry balsamic icecream
450g fresh strawberries
150g caster sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
150ml whipping cream (36% fat) (i.e. plain cream)
- Wash and hull the strawberries. Dry thoroughly then start to process them with the sugar in a food processor/blender.
- Add the balsamic vinegar while blending.Â Blend until ingredients are combined to a smooth puree.
- Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavour of the fruit to be brought out by the sugar/vinegar.
- Combine the cream with the strawberry mixture and still freeze / freeze in an ice-cream maker.
- Put into container and cover with greaseproof paper (to eliminate air touching the icecream).Â Then pop in the freezer and freeze for an hour until firm enough to serve ORÂ freeze but allow to soften for 20 minutes in the fridge if frozen solid.
- Yum!!! It never lasts more than one day in our house.Â Amazing flavour!
- I sometimes reduce the cream and add some milk for a lighter mix, or a bit of jam stirred through etc to change the texture.
- make when small children are asleep.Â then you don’t have to share. They will just be happy with fresh strawberries.Â There has to be something exciting to look forward to when you’re old..
adapted from Liddell, C. & Weir, R. Frozen Desserts 1995